Landa Library History
In 1946, Harry Landa donated his home – the property located at the corner of Bushnell and Shook Avenues – to the City of San Antonio as a memorial to his wife, Hannah. The house was to be used a public library, the grounds as a playground for children and the public area for the community. Located in the heart of Monte Vista, the Landa Library has five acres of grounds surrounding the Mediterranean style home.
Landa Gardens History
In 1994, a group of neighbors, organized under the name of Landa Library Alliance, began raising money to build the playground Mr. Landa envisioned. Four years later, the Alliance successfully completed a $70,000 campaign and constructed the playground, fulfilling Mr. Landa’s dream.
In 2001, the Monte Vista Historical Association, in conjunction with the Landa Library Alliance, formed the Landa Gardens Committee. Working in partnership with the City of San Antonio and the San Antonio Public Library Board, the Landa Gardens Committee created a master plan for Landa Gardens. On August 13, 2004, Landa Gardens Conservancy, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, was formed to raise the funds necessary to implement the plan and establish an endowment for perpetual maintenance of the grounds. More than $1.5 million was raised by the end of 2007.